RxAdvanced: Hazardous Drugs
In partnership with CriticalPoint
As pharmacies make strides toward compliance with USP <800> standards that pertain to hazardous drug safety, many recognize that they protect employees and patients best when they have optimal training, processes, and procedures in place.
TRC Healthcare created the RxAdvanced: Hazardous Drug program to help pharmacists fill gaps in their knowledge of safe hazardous drug handling in a healthcare setting. This training program provides five hours of ACPE-accredited training that prepares pharmacists for proper care and handling of hazardous drugs at every stage—from receipt to disposal.
What to Expect from RxAdvanced: Hazardous Drugs
This self-guided, online training—built by subject matter experts with extensive knowledge in USP hazardous drug standards—is available to pharmacists 24/7. Pharmacists not only learn the most relevant content within USP <800>; they acquire valuable operational knowledge that promotes safer work practices, better construction and design, and improved processes in your pharmacy. The program is updated regularly so your pharmacists stay current with best practices for handling hazardous drugs.
Pharmacists can complete the highly interactive program in short, self-guided segments that are easy to stop and start. The format allows each user to measure existing knowledge and to check mastery of new content. The training integrates related content, including USP Chapter <797>.
In this 5-part program, your pharmacists will learn:
- Engineering controls
- Personal protective equipment
- Multiple regulatory standards for hazardous drug handling in a healthcare setting
- Risk mitigation strategies
- Safe strategies for every aspect of working with hazardous drugs
Your Guide to RxAdvanced: Hazardous Drugs
- Hazardous Drug Overview (USP <795> and <797>) (1 hour): Get up to speed on hazardous drug standards and guidelines from OSHA, NIOSH, ASHP, and USP. Evaluate all the factors that enhance safety.
- Containment Primary and Secondary Engineering Controls (USP <795> and <797>) (1 hour): Analyze optimal and suboptimal primary and secondary engineering controls (SEC) for sterile and non-sterile compounding.
- Personal Protective Equipment for Hazardous Drug Handling and USP <795> and <797> Compounding (1 hour): Learn how to choose the correct PPE for hazardous drug compounding, handling, and cleanup of spills.
- Hazardous Drug Work Practice: Receiving through Transport to Patients (USP <795> and <797>) (1 hour): Explore best practices for receiving, storing, compounding, labeling, packaging, and transporting hazardous drug components and compounded sterile preparations (CSPs).
- Hazardous Drug Work Practice: Decontamination and Spill Management (USP <795> and <797>) (1 hour): Learn the proper sequence and methods for decontamination, cleaning, and disinfecting areas that handle hazardous drugs. Design a USP <800>-compliant spill management plan.
Key Benefits of RxAdvanced: Hazardous Drugs
Comprehensive, succinct coverage. Educate pharmacists with the most meaningful hazardous drug information for their daily work in pharmacies. The program’s hazardous drug content offers practical, how-to skills based on USP Chapter <800>, with context drawn from USP Chapters <795> and <797> as well as NIOSH requirements.
Advanced hazardous drug knowledge. Inform pharmacists about the dangers of occupational exposure to hazardous drugs and gain influential advocates for continuous process improvement, safety, and assessment of risk. Knowledgeable pharmacists make it easier for your pharmacy to develop and document safe, efficient processes related to hazardous drugs, paving the way toward high performance on audits, inspections, surveys, and accreditation.
Improved facility design and redesign. Equip your pharmacy for better facility construction or redesign by giving pharmacists the hazardous drug expertise to make wise decisions when choosing primary and designing secondary engineering controls.
Cost-effective access to continuing education. Foster internal mastery of hazardous drug handling with affordable training options, priced for your organization’s size. Invest in economical, authoritative guidance that helps your organization evaluate and make assessments of risk and be confident that your staff has the vital knowledge to help your pharmacy comply with USP <800>.
Prepare for a safer pharmacy.
Qualify your pharmacists to be effective guardians of health and safety with robust hazardous drug training offered by TRC Healthcare.
RxAdvanced is currently only available for group subscriptions. Individual subscriptions will be available in early 2022.