Watch for Unexpected Ingredients in New Zantac Products
Read TRC Healthcare Insights, a newsletter delivering the latest in emerging clinical pharmacy leadership trends straight to your inbox. In each edition, get a roundup of articles, clinical resources, and tools from across TRC products to help your pharmacy teams address the most pressing and timely issues in medication management.
- Pain Point: The new OTC Zantac 360° products will lead to confusion among patients and healthcare providers, since it contains an unexpected ingredient. Many people will assume these contain the acid reducer ranitidine like the original Zantac, but Zantac 360° actually contains famotidine. Ranitidine products are still off the market in the U.S, due to concerns about the impurity NDMA (N-nitrosodimethylamine).
- Solution: Our Pharmacist’s Letter, Pharmacy Technician’s Letter, and Prescriber’s Letter articles describe strategies to prevent mix-ups with these new products. We discuss what to check for on patient medication lists to avoid therapeutic duplication, as well as how to refer to these products in written or verbal communication to limit mishaps. Subscribers can see more examples of confusing OTC brand names and their ingredients in our chart, OTC Brand-Name Extensions.
This month’s Insights also highlights our most popular charts from each of our products, as well as the latest COVID-19 resources that are available. You’ll also get details on freshly released CE/CME courses, and can’t-miss webinars.
New CE courses include:
- Complex Nonsterile Compounding: Oral Dosage Forms
- Nonsterile Compounding: Topical and Oral Liquid Preparations
- Sterile Compounding: Corrective Action and Preventative Action
- Sterile Compounding: USP Chapter 797
Need timely, concise updates for your pharmacy teams on topics like preventing errors with risky med labeling and packaging, COVID-19 treatments, and more? Learn more about Enterprise solutions from TRC >>
Subscribe to Insights Newsletter
Want updates like these delivered straight into your inbox? Subscribe to the Insights monthly newsletter today. Click below, then scroll to “TRC News and Special Offers” and check the “Insights Enterprise Newsletter” box.