Educate Why Aduhelm Isn’t a Miracle for Alzheimer’s
Read TRC Healthcare Insights, a newsletter delivering the latest in emerging clinical pharmacy leadership trends straight to your inbox. In each edition, get a roundup of articles, clinical resources, and tools from across TRC products to help your pharmacy teams address the most pressing and timely issues in medication management.
- Pain Point: Aduhelm (aducanumab) is the first new medication for Alzheimer’s disease in almost 20 years, and it’s received lots of media attention due to controversy surrounding the FDA review process and its approval. Patients with Alzheimer’s disease and their families are often looking for a glimmer of hope, but Aduhelm is not the answer.
- Solution: Our Hospital Pharmacist’s Letter, Hospital Pharmacy Technician’s Letter, Pharmacist’s Letter, Pharmacy Technician’s Letter, and Prescriber’s Letter articles explain how Aduhelm ended up getting FDA approval, even though the FDA advisory committee voted against its approval. It includes information on how surrogate endpoints were measured, and how this doesn’t always lead to improvements in patient outcomes. Practical implications are also highlighted, such as patients needing three MRIs in the first year of use to monitor for side effects (brain microhemorrhages and edema), that it costs at least $56,000/year, and how some payers are already not covering the med. Our FAQ, Alzheimer’s Dementia Pharmacotherapy, includes talking points about efficacy and the side effects of other options.
This month’s Insights also includes the release of two new training programs, PTU Elite: Point-of-Care Testing and RxAdvanced: Leadership & Communication. And don’t miss out on our most popular charts for August, as well as the latest COVID-19 resources that are available. You’ll also get details on freshly released CE/CME courses, and can’t-miss webinars.
New CE courses include:
- Naloxone’s Role in Opioid Overdose
- Promoting Tobacco Cessation
- Generic Substitution Laws
- Pharmacy Essential Updates
Need timely, concise updates for your pharmacy teams on topics like preventing errors with risky med labeling and packaging, COVID-19 treatments, and more? Learn more about Enterprise solutions from TRC >>
Subscribe to Insights Newsletter
Want updates like these delivered straight into your inbox? Subscribe to the Insights monthly newsletter today. Click below, then scroll to “TRC News and Special Offers” and check the “Insights Enterprise Newsletter” box.