PTU Elite: Controlled Substances & Diversion
Pharmacies across the nation are responding with care and urgency to the pervasive misuse and diversion of controlled substances. With 10 to 15 percent of healthcare workers affected by substance use disorders and a national opioid crisis that impedes public health and well-being, pharmacies need well-trained pharmacy technicians who can play a key role in their controlled substance diversion prevention programs (CSDPP).
The PTU Elite: Controlled Substances & Diversion program is a concise yet thorough training designed to help pharmacy technicians identify and prevent the diversion of controlled substances. When you choose TRC Healthcare to deliver training on best practices for controlled substance dispensing and diversion prevention, your pharmacy technicians will learn relevant strategies that uphold regulatory requirements, improve inventory control, reduce unnecessary costs, strengthen processes, and minimize your pharmacy’s exposure to liabilities and legal action.
What to Expect of PTU Elite: Controlled Substances & Diversion
Created by pharmacy experts who know your workplace, the PTU Elite: Controlled Substances & Diversion program is a convenient and engaging training resource that gives pharmacy technicians essential knowledge of controlled substances and Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) requirements.
- 24/7 access. Students progress at their own pace at any time of day in this self-guided, online program.
- A dynamic, interactive format. Multimedia modules let students learn and test their knowledge with engaging practice exercises at frequent intervals.
- Cost-effective pricing. Our flexible pricing is structured to accommodate all pharmacies.
- Ease of use. Participants learn in short, manageable segments that suit a busy workplace.
- Practice-ready clinical resources. After they’ve completed the program, pharmacy technicians have access to printable PDF documents that help them refresh and apply their knowledge.
The PTU Elite: Controlled Substances & Diversion program prepares pharmacy technicians to manage controlled substances, covering everything from best practices for filling prescriptions to recordkeeping. Focused specifically on the pharmacy technician’s role within the healthcare team, the program emphasizes a range of practical skills, such as:
- Following requirements for managing inventory, dispensing, recordkeeping, and disposal
- Spotting “red flags” for diversion when restocking inventory
- Recognizing fraudulent prescriptions
- Identifying suspicious activity or product tampering
- Handling a robbery or theft
- Detecting and improving processes that are vulnerable to diversion
- Using security control measures to detect and prevent diversion
- Identifying impaired coworkers and following appropriate procedures
This four-hour, online program shares essential knowledge pharmacy technicians can apply in any pharmacy setting. Pharmacy technicians who complete the training will:
- Become skilled stewards who can deter, detect, and respond to the diversion of medications
- Refresh existing knowledge of controlled substance best practices, and regulations that govern procurement, prescribing, administration, and chain of custody
- Get familiar with surveillance and investigation practices, DEA requirements, and strategies that prevent controlled substance diversion
- Add skills that prepare them to attain a Pharmacy Technician Certification Board Controlled Substances Diversion Prevention Certificate
Strengthen trust. An expert pharmacy technician who understands the legal and economic stakes of diverted or misused controlled substances can help your pharmacy avoid costly audits, investigations, lawsuits and other legal actions that compromise your pharmacy’s reputation in the community.
Reduce inventory loss. Trim unnecessary costs and improve your bottom line by empowering your pharmacy technicians to follow the motto, “If you see something, say something,” to prevent theft or diversion of controlled substances.
Improve public health. Pharmacy technicians who are trained to identify and prevent diversion can help reduce the negative social, physical, and economic impacts of drug misuse.
Retain employees. Encourage job satisfaction and professional growth with educational opportunities that allow your pharmacy technicians to advance their careers and contribute as valuable members of the healthcare team.
Lifelong Learning and Career Advancement for Pharmacy Technicians
PTU Elite: Controlled Substances & Diversion is part of a robust library of TRC Healthcare training that supports learning for pharmacy technicians at every stage in their career development.
Other programs include:
- PTU Elite: CSPT® Exam Preparation
- PTU Elite: Hazardous Drugs
- PTU Elite: Immunizations
- PTU Elite: Math Mastery
- PTU Elite: Point-of-Care Testing
- PTU Elite: Soft Skills
Become part of the solution to controlled substance misuse and diversion when you offer PTU Elite: Controlled Substances & Diversion for pharmacy technicians.
More Solutions for Pharmacy Technicians and Trainees
Take the headache out of technician training with the No. 1 provider of online technician learning. Featuring training program options to match your diverse needs: regulations for every state, tailored for hospital and community settings, with depth and breadth of content to benefit both veteran and brand-new technicians. Simplify the educational experience, improve efficiency, and help reduce medication errors with Pharmacy Technicians University.
Pharmacy Technician’s Letter teaches essential skills and empowers technicians to contribute more to the pharmacy, advance the profession, and reduce medication errors. Technicians get concise, actionable recommendations and clinical resources to guide their interactions with both pharmacists and patients, all focused on improving patient care.
Hospital Pharmacy Technician's Letter teaches essential skills and empowers technicians to contribute even more to the pharmacy, advance the profession, and reduce medication errors. You get concise, hospital-specific recommendations and clinical resources to guide your interactions with both pharmacists and patients in acute care and ambulatory settings, all focused on improving patient care.
Natural Medicines gives clinicians the tools they need to make informed, evidence-based decisions about dietary supplements, natural medicines, and integrative therapies. It’s updated daily and includes 1,400+ natural ingredient and alternative therapy monographs and more than 175,000 commercial products organized into a practical, searchable database to help answer your clinical questions.
CriticalPoint focuses on increasing patient safety through a variety of educational compounding offerings concentrating on USP <797>, <800>, and <795>. Partnering with industry experts, CriticalPoint provides the most current and engaging training on industry standards, resulting in improved competency and patient safety. Offerings include eLearning, Virtual Training, and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).